19 December 2015

A Toxic Verbal Environment





Like I said on my previous articles, living on the different side of the earth is fairly amusing. But having a job is quite different. Pretty much outlandish.

I started working here as a military nurse, nine months ago. And within those months, I have experience and witnessed utterly a lot of good and bad things being on it..

Of course, aside from considering the fact that you are just an expat, you must obey all the laws and must be very careful on everything you do. You must have to adapt their culture and language as fast as you can for you to be able to continue to function and prosper. Most especially when you are working as a Nurse.

But one thing bothers me most. It's how some of these people treat nurses unprofessionally. They are literally verbally abusive. 

But first let me define you what a nurse is. 

nurse1
nəːs/
noun
noun: nurse; plural noun: nurses
1.
a person trained to care for the sick or infirm, especially in a hospital.


"a team of doctors and nurses"


All we do is take care of sick people but what have we gotten? 


I know, I don't have the right to complain but we nurses have opportunities that are rare in other professions. The benefits which we received are not easily measured not are they limited to our paychecks and employers benefit packages.


But isn't just unfair how you treat us? When you speak, you speak awfully as if you are talking to an uneducated person. We are also humans. You say we are not doing our job, you keep on ordering and demanding precisely a lot of things, always telling nurses that we are wrong, you refused to talk and acknowledge us. you are judging and criticizing and makes us erode our confidence and many many more things.


This job isn't as easy and distressful as you may think. You truly have no idea what nurses do. 


 But I don't want to stereotype. There are still those people who appreciate nurses. Those were the kind of people who truly knows a nurse job. And sometimes when seeing a nurse is on too much stress, some will give refreshments to lighten up the burden. (I love those kind of people. It makes me smile whenever I remember some of them. ) And of course, a single thank you is enough to embrace the stress with joy and laughter. 


Stick and stones may break my bones but words can also hurt. Stick and stones break only skin while words are ghost that haunts. Pain from words has left its scar on mind and heart that's tender. Cuts and bruises are getting healed its words that I remember.


In the future, I wonder if all nurses could withstand these kind of mistreatment. Well I guess, I just hope and pray that God will make a way.

8 comments:

  1. too bad us nurses cant even shout to them sa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thnk u is important......but not all saudi r like that......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay nako parte na saten yan.....minsan sa dalas ng pagiging abusado nila nasasanay na tayo at di na ntin namamalayan na below the belt na pala

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHARED! THIS IS RAMPANT. OTHERS ARE JUST SCARED OF TELLING WHATS REALLY HAPPENING WITH HOSPITAL WORK. EVEN IF THEY KNOW ITS BEYOND THEIR LIMIT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sorry coz this has happened to u...��

    ReplyDelete

What do Ghosts Really Look Like?

This is the most common question that I've been always asked by people who believed, and who do not believe in ghosts. I, myself have a ...